Wednesday 9 December 2015

Racism - Tanvi Singh

“How do you not celebrate Christmas?” one of them barked

“Um.. I am a Hindu, and I celebrate Diwali.” I replied with a soft and hurt voice.

Racism is still an immense issue that lingers all over the world. If we don’t fix this issue, it will continue to hurt people everyday. Many people in our community think of this, as an insignificant issue, probably because they have not experienced it. Being a victim of racism, I assure you it is an intense issue. Racism doesn’t benefit either the racist or the victim. Thus, leading to conflicts or fatal consequences. Also, it can politically destroy the country’s reputation if the leader discriminates the residents of the country .

We have all stumbled upon the outrageous idea. I am talking about Donald Trump’s idea. On BBC.com, there is a controversial article stating that Donald Trump urges Americans to ban Muslims from coming in to U.S. In his perspective, he believes that all muslims are terrorists. Fortuitously, the law has been disapproved. He was also denounced after he suggested an idea. He wanted to close some Mosques in addition to that, all muslims in the country, should be monitored.

I am a Hindu, therefore I don’t celebrate christmas. But nevertheless, I have not spoken bad about it. I was in my friends house, when the event took place.

“Tanvi, where is your Christmas tree” She wondered “ Because when I was at your house today, I didn’t see it.”

“ Oh, I don’t celebrate Christmas.” I assured, as I was fiddling with my phone.

As those words left my mouth, I simultaneously received a wave of glares and gasps. It was like they never knew that other religions existed.

“How do you not celebrate Christmas?” one of them barked

“Um.. I am a Hindu, and I celebrate Diwali.” I replied with a soft and hurt voice.

I immediately left that house, before anyone else could discriminate me because of my religion.

All over the world people are becoming a victim of racism. The issue is happening in Asia, America, Europe and all over the world. Here are a few examples. In USA, police in particular, have been held responsible for the death of a few innocent colored people, with minimal consequences. Similar to the previous fact, in India’s film industry, most of the fair female actress, get the leading role.
As, from the article on BBC.com, “ Why do US police keep killing unarmed black men?” Ms. Fridell is an Associate Professor of criminology at the University of South Florida, herself said “that she is more likely to see threat in African American, than in Caucasians”. The idea of racism was introduced to separate African Americans, from European American. The African Americans, ancestors have been involuntary enslaved and brought to U.S.

I was fortunate enough to be able to survey, an 8th grade English class. Around 55% of the class, said that they have been discriminated because of their religion/race. Most of the students have been discriminated because of their beliefs.

As, the articles come to a conclusion, I want to remind the readers that we are the reason why rasim started. We made the choice to create a racist community. Recently, racism has had a colossal comeback. Most of the educational sources, such as BBC or CNN, keep addressing this immense issue. It is awakening to see that the issue, being not touched and deteriorate day by day. Next time, before you blurt out an offensive statement, hold back for a second and think.

No comments:

Post a Comment